I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

VANITY FAIR RECAP AND OTHER SHIT


I loooooove Vanity Fair...the articles are just so terrific...except Dominick Dunne just writes about boring rich fucks...no tanks....there is an excellent article on Laura 'The Ice Queen' Bush...hoooboy....she is so tight you could shove a straight pin up her ass and it would knock both hips out of joint...and the editors letters have a great one on how the pentagon figured out a way to save money...by quietly ending the 155 year old tradition of
having marines guard the gates of the U. S. Naval Academy as well as the crypt of John Paul Jones, one of the Navy's founders and a great hero in the Revolutionary War. The freeded up troops will be sent to Iraq and Afghanistand.......surprise.....
another brilliant way to keep money in the pentagon? they are making the soldiers pay for battle gear that was either distroyed or damaged during the war.I swear I am not making this shit up....made one guy pay $570 for a kevlar vest that was damaged by road side bomb.. when his home town found out about it ..the radio station raised money and paid him for it...judas priest..
And don't want anyone to think that I am against anyone stepping up and admitting to being sexually abused. If that is what it takes to help them heal...I am all for it..but I was just a little pissed to read the article about Teri Hatcher's abuse while looking at her drapped across some riding gear in a stable... all dewey eyed and glammed up...and then below it about how her uncle made her tough his penis until he came...and every other paragraph was about her new book 'Burnt Toast'....well, excuse me....should have been called 'I will talk about my most horrific moments of sexual abuse to sell my book and get you to buy this magazine...'...fuckme till I sell a book...
Great article on "Sixteen words that changed the world"..that was a good one...Also one on the two biggest scum bags that ever crossed the Deleware...Jack Abramoff and Tom DeLay...what a bunch of money grubbing dickheads....
Good investigation article about the bride who's husband went over board on a cruise ship.......Ohhhhhh and the article on civil rights was about a guy named Clarence Jones, who was Martin Luther King, Jr.'s right hand man...never had heard about him..and was very informative and very interesting..he has a book in the works called "martin and me", which I really will want to read..
I cannot tell you how much I love Vanity Fair...such fun to read...I have learned something with each story or article...I don't know what the price of a subsciption is ...but it is worth every penny of it...thank the Goddess for Shady Lane....
ok....now for the best part...my recipe for homemade Tomato Soup...got the recipe out of the DAMN NEWS... and made it and love it...here 'tis.....

CREAMY TOMATO SOUP WITH HERBS
1 TSP. OLIVE OIL(I USED CANOLA)
1 SMALL ONION(FOR ABOUT 1/2 CUP CHOPPED)
1 TSP. BOTTLED MINCED GARLIC(I CHOPPED MY OWN)
2 (14 1/2-OUNCE) CANS CHOPPED TOMATOES SEASONED WITH BASIL, GARLIC AND OREGANO(SEE NOTE)
1 (15-OUNCE) CAN TOMATO SAUCE
1 CUP LOW-FAT MILK, WHOLE MILK OR HALF-AND-HALF( I USED ABOUT 1 1/2 CUP)
1/4 CUP GRATED OR SHREDED PARMESAN CHEESE( I USED COLBY/JACK)(IT WAS WHAT I ALREADY HAD IN FRIG)
PLAIN OR GARLIC CROUTONS, FOR GARNISH(OPTIONAL)(I USED HOME MADE CROUTONS)
HEAT THE OIL IN A 41/2 QUART DUTCH OVEN OR SOUP POT OVER MEDIUM HEAT. PEEL AND FINELY CHOP THE ONION, AND ADD IT TO THE POT. STIR AND COOK FOR 2 MINUTES.
ADD THE GARLIC, AND STIR AND COOK 30 SECONDS. ADD THE TOMATOES WITH THEIR JUICES AND THE TOMATO SAUCE. RAISE THE HEAT TO HIGH, AND BRING THE SOUP TO A BOIL.
REDUCE THE HEAT TO LOW. STIR IN THE MILK AND PARMESAN CHEESE. DO NOT BOIL THE SOUP AFTER THE MILK HAS BEEN ADDED. STIR AND COOK FOR 2 MNUTES. REMOVE FROM THE HEAT AN SERVE AT ONCE, GARNISHED WITH CROUTONS, IF DESIRED. MAKES 4 SERVINGS...
NOTE: IF YOU CAN'T FIND THE SEASONED TOMATOES SUBSTITUTE PLAIN DICED TOMATOES WITH 1/2 TSP EACH DRIED BASIL ND OREGANO..
CALORIES PER SERVING...181 (16%FROM FAT)
FAT 3 G
CHOLESTEROL 7 MG
SODIUM 1,725(DAMN..I JUST READ THAT...COULD USE TOMATO SAUCE WITH REDUCED SALT...)
FIBER 3 G
CARGOHYDRATE 31G

IT IS REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY GOOD...
I added a large dollop of sour cream on top and that made it extra good.....

8 comments:

Cassandra said...

I'd just rather read your version of it!! I think it's much more interesting.

zero said...

well, if you think it will help get me laid, i will be back to texas in the morning... just kidding...

BriteYellowGun said...

I got my new issue too but haven't cracked it yet. In fact I'm still working on the last one, that Bette Davis article. Gotta love that one! She really had balls!

BriteYellowGun said...

BTW, Re: Shamrock, TX. That place is hilarious! Mainly because you can't figure out why it's still in existence. It used to be an old Rt. 66 motel town but when the highway bypassed it, it fell apart. Now it's two miles of abandoned, rotting motels AND the "U-Drop Inn" Cafe which is an art-deco jewel in the middle of nowhere. They served us bologna and cheese sandwiches on white bread. Yes, they actually had this on the menu! We ALWAYS made a point of stopping in Shamrock when doing the cross country trip.

Linda said...

Go see my rant on Debra Farve, I got real pissed on Anderson Cooper 360 when they let her go because the kid wouldn't testify. Then she had the balls to blame it on mental illness! I'd rather read about Kinky. He's such a character with his cigar what a hoot...need to try your soup recipe, sounds delicious..hugz, Linda

Beansidhe said...

Ha! you have the best sayings! (that I shamelessly steal and use) The one about Laura and the pin up her ass cracked me up!

You also have a damn good sounding recipe for tomato soup, which I'm also gonna steal. Yuk yuk. :)

Scottish Toodler said...

Well, Teri Hatcher I don't know about. I see her on Housewives when I watch that show, but I don't know about the article. But all those things you said about her people have said about me. So I don't disagree with you, but I see the other side. About the soup, where is the sodium coming from? The canned tomatoes I think. And maybe the cheese? I bet if you used fresh tomatoes it wouldn't be high in sodium. Could you post or send me how you make your croutons?? I have been saving some bread in the freezer to try that.

Normy said...

That soup sounds damn good... I'll have to make some. I figure all the lycopene in the tomatoes cancels out the sodium... a good for a bad. Tee hee.