I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

RAINING IN TEXAS...RAINING IN MY HEART

I don't even know where to start...It does seem fitting that yesterday and today ...it's raining in Texas...I think it would be just horrible if the sun was shining and all was right with the world...The world will never be right again...at least for me...
Wed. Molly Ivins, columnist, best-selling author and partisan wit died after a long and recurring battle with breast cancer..She was 62 years old...a year younger than me..
Molly was a liberal in Texas....sometimes think she and I were the only two...She wrote a twice-weekly column that appeared in over 300 newspapers..She lived in Austin, and her commen
tary appeared in every National magazine from Harper's to Playboy, and you could hear her Texas accent on every TV, radio show from 60 Minutes to The News Hour with Jim Lehrer. She didn't just pick on republicans, she took a poke at anyone she thought was full of crap and wasn't doing the right thing..
When Gore-Bush
had their presidential debate in 2000 she said:"It's like having Ted Baxter of the old "Mary Tyler Moore' show running for president:Gore has Ted's manner and Bush has his brain."
She said of ultraconservative U.S.Rep. Jim Collins, R-Dallas, in the early 1980's: "If his IQ slips any
lower, we'll have to water him twice a day."
T
he White House on Wednesday released a statement by President Bush, who she referred to as "Shrub," expressing his condolences to Ms. Ivins' family and friends:"Molly Ivins was a Texas original..I respected her convictions, her passionate belief in the power of words, and her ability to turn a phrase..Her quick wit and commitment to her beliefs will be missed."(everything he lacks..)
Gov. Rick Perry, frequently a target for Ms. Ivins' barbs, said in a statement,"Molly Ivins' clever and colorful perspectives on people and politic
s gained her national acclaim and admiration that crossed party lines."(she's the one that came up with the 'good hair Perry' line, that I stole)
In Austin recently, former President Bill Clinton took special note of the columnist:"I want to say a special word of appreciation to someone who was good when she praised me and painfully good when she criticized me. Molly Ivins, thank you for being a great journalist and a great lover of Texas and the United States."(as she said about him when he became President...'You gotta dance with the one that brung ya.")
This is a snippet from the 2003 Commencement at the Columbia school of Journalism.
"The right
wing nuts-with whom I have always lived in Texas..and if you are, by the way, feeling depressed about the state of the nation, the world and the possibilities of doing honest journalism in this country--I am here to cheer you up.
What y
ou do every morning when you wake up, thinking things are hard--is you say to yourself,thank God, I don't have to do this in Texas. And,for those of you who wind up in Texas, call me, I'll buy you some beers.

You may get fired, you may get in trouble.But have fun anyway, 'cause, as Willie Nelson sings, if we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. So, as you all go forth unafraid, to raise hell and rock the boat, you keep working at getting some laughter and some fun into the whole deal..Thank you.

She was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1999. It came back in 2003 and returned again in November 2005...
She ofte
n gave speaches about the First Amendment and surviving breast cancer, bringing grim humor to describe this horrible disease.
"Hav
ing breast cancer is massive amounts of no fun. First they mutilate you; then they burn you. I have been on blind dates better than that."
Last
year at a fund raiser for the progressive monthly Texas Observer, she yanked off her wig to reveal her bald head and said she was making a "shameless exploitation" of her cancer to help the cause.."We might as well do something useful because God knows I don't need another casserole," she said.
She was born Mary Tyler Ivins in Monterrey, Calif,. but her family moved to Houston soon after...In the early 1960's she attended Smith College, got involved in the civil rights movement and was struck by the realization that she said creates all Southern liberals:"Once you figure out
they are lying to you about race, you start to question everything."
When
she went into journalism, female reporters were relegated to the women's pages and she said she knew she'd have to get an advanced degree to break out.
"As a fledgling female reporter I had two splendid models to choose from--Brenda Starr and Poteet Canyon," she joked.
Her first newspaper job was in the complaints department of the Houston Cronicle, where she advanced to eventually write about road closings. She referred to herself as the "sewer reporter."
In Minneapolis, she went on to write about the movements for social change. But in 1970, longing for food with spice in it, she returned to her ho
me state and became co-editor of the Texas Observer. It was there she specialized in covering the sometimes raucous, scandal-laden and colorful Texas Legislature.
She caught the attention of the New York Times, and they hired her in 1976 as a political reporter and sent her out west to cover nine states as the Rocky Mountain bureau chief. She said she was named chief because there was no one else in the bureau.
While at the Times, she wrote the obituary for Elvis Presley, and later described the scene of grieving, swarming fans as part Shriners'
convention and part national cheerleading camp.
She finall
y parted ways with the Times after she covered a New Mexico community chicken festival and wanted to refer to it as "a gang pluck."
She then wrote for the Dallas Times Herald, and when it shut down, she went to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. She later became independent, writing for a syndicate in 2001.
Along the way, she also wrote 6 best selling books, the most recent being "Who Let the Dogs In?"in 2004,and "
Bushwacked:Life in George W. Bush's America."
She wrote about her cancer, and that it forced her to face mortality, but it didn't trick her into becoming a better person.
"I am one of those people who are out of touch with their emotions like unpleasant relatives--a long distance call once or twice a year is more than enough. If I got in touch with them, they might come to stay."
"I believe ignorance is the root of all evil. And that no one knows the truth." she wrote..
Never marrying, she is survived by her sister Sara(Ivins)Maley of Albuquerque,N.M., and brother Andy Ivins of London,Texas: sister-in-law Carla Ivins, nephew Drew and niece Darby; niece Margot Hutchinson and her husband, Neil, and their children Sam, Andy and Charlie of San Diego, Calif. and nephew Paul Maley and his wife Karianna, and their children Marty, Anneli, and Finnbar of Eltham, Victoria, Australia.

Some of my favorite quotes:
On conservative presidential candidate Pat Buchanan:"Many people did not care for Pat Buchanan's speech;it probably sounded better in the original German." published in The Nation, Sept.14,1992
On humor:"There are two kinds of humor. One kind that makes us chuckle about our foibles and our shared humanity--like what Garrison Keillor does. The other kind holds people up to public contempt and ridicule--that's what I do. Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful. I only aim at teh powerful. When satire is aimed at the powerless, it is not only cruel--it's vulgar." published in People, Dec. 9,1991.
On Americans:"I think there's more of us who still believe that Elvis is alive than understand the Theory of Relativity, but that's all right.It's fun to live in a country with some peculiar people. How boring it would be if everybody was quite sane."..from Defining Americans, on NPR, July3,1997.
On vegetarianism:"I know vegetarians don't like to hear this, but God made an awful lot of land that's good for nothing but grazing."published in the Raleigh News and Observer.July 15,2001.
On gun control:"I am not anti-gun. I'm pro-knife. Consider the merits of the knife. In the first place, you have to catch up with someone in order to stab him. A general substitution of knives for guns would promote physical fitness. We'd turn into a whole nation of great runners. Plus, knives don't ricochet. And people are seldom killed while cleaning their knives." published in the Charleston Gazette. July,19,1994
On Texas:"I dearly love the state of Texas, but I consider that a harmless perversion on my part, and discuss it only with consenting adults." on CBS News' Sunday Morning, Jan 5,1992.

But I think my favorite is:Speaking truth to power is the best job in any democracy, she explained. It took her to towns across the great yet battered land to say:"So keep on fightin' for freedom and justice, beloveds, but don't you forget to have fun doin' it.Lord, let your laughter ring forth. be outrageous, ridicule the fraidy-cats, rejoice in all the oddities that freedom can produce. And when you get through kickin' as and celebratin' the sheer joy of a good fight, be sure to tell those who come after how much fun it was."

I'll do my best Molly......I'll do my best...

21 comments:

mckait said...

I was not surprised to see that we had both posted about molly..

the breast cancer she had was inflammatory breast cancer..

that is what my Elaine is suffering from.

Sadly, I doubt that E will survive the month..

:(

If you ever need to flee texas, let me know.. there are more liberals here in a... and you can visit me :)

well.. off to work..
in a world that is surely the worse for Molly's passing..

I wish her spirit a gentle journey, and I am sure she will continue to watch the antics here with amazement, amusement and horror...

JBlue said...

Too damn young and too damn good to go out like that.

the rube said...

speaking the truth is a lofty ideal but you'll never get elected telling the truth.

yellowdoggranny said...

Kath: yes, I can't imagine what she must have gone through..she was a very special lady...
nah, I could never leave Texas... She needs some one to protect her from the right wing, wing nuts....
jblue:it truly does break my heart..
ruby: yeah, but maybe we can put a spotlight on the liars...

Josh said...

Great post and quotes. I like the bits about Texas, because I rib the S.O. about being in the middle of the "Red Sea" on occasion. (Usually when we're trying to talk on a holiday and all you can hear are gunshots and fireworks in the background.)

Anonymous said...

Excellent post. She wrote so many memorable quotations.

I hope someone does a biography of her soon.

yellowdoggranny said...

josh: one good thing about texans..we will be the first to jump up and make fun of ourselves...
Jan: i would like to see a bio of her and Ann richards..good ones...

Cie Cheesemeister said...

Molly Ivins was sharp and funny. She will be missed.
Hey, thanks for all the humorous emails. I'll be using those pictures of the guys who give women reason to remain celibate on one of my humor blogs!

apositivepessimist said...

RIP dear Molly...I knew her not at all.

Sounds like she was a good old bird tho.

Allan said...

Good job JS.

mckait said...

just stopped by to see how youre doing..

funny how a total stranger.. someone we have never met.. can seem like a friend.

We will miss Molly.. many will..but maybe, just abe... in her passing.. she will inspire more to do as she did..
maybe the truth will be more cmmon than lies.. or spin.. which is the same as lies, if you ask me..

which you didn't .. but too bad
sigh

anyway..

i am very glad that I stumbled over you here on the net...very glad indeed.. you feel like someone who could be a good friend..

Have a good day, and rejoice for Molly that she is free of that broken and tortured shell.. that her spirit is free to fly like her mind always has...
take care..

yellowdoggranny said...

Cheesy: yup. one in a million our molly...glad you like the emails..some are really great..
apos: oh you would have loved her..she was smart, funny loud, in your face and for the underdog..
allan: thanks...
kath: I'm glad we found each other..i enjoy your blog alot...you guys might want to check her out...

JBlue said...

Just came back to read the quotes again coz they're just darned good.

Jon Boles said...

I never read much of Molly's stuff until I happened across "Shrub" and "Bushwhacked" in the former library stack at Books-A-Million one day. Great reads.

Lauren said...

Molly was certainly one of a kind. . . You know sure as hell, she went down swinging. . .

And Kath is so very right. . . You're one of the good ones. . . And I'm proud to call you my friend.

Love ya!!

yellowdoggranny said...

jblue: she said some of the greatest and funniest things..you really need to read her books..you'll love them..
reverend: yup..she dun gud
lauren: thanks I am so very appreciative of the fact that this blog has brought me into contact with so many people that I now think of as not only friends...but family...you are one of them...

texlahoma said...

I sure like her quotes.
Ditto what apos said.

Cyberoutlaw said...

I thought about you when I heard this on the news. What a huge loss for those of us who refuse to believe everything we are told. Her tremendous voice will be missed.

That first photo is a real cutie. Great smile.

Scottish Toodler said...

Damn, when I saw her obit I knew you would have something better. The world really lost something with her... I miss you Yella Dawg-- dang girl glad you are still raising hell!!!

Nancy said...

What a beautiful tribute you did to her. I am going to check out her books. Thanks JS.

carina said...

That is a wonderful tribute. Damn. I bought her very first book and was hooked on the woman.