I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Monday, October 22, 2007

.......COWBOYS 24-VIKINGS 14.......


Yes,I may be a Viking....coming from a long line of Viking's..but at heart...I'm a cowgirl..and love my Cowboys... Except for when they play the Cowboys, I'm also a Viking fan...Way back in the 60's I got to see them play the 49Er's at Candlestink Stadium..and will never forget when they came out of the tunnel onto the field..I told asshole #1..."If they had two-headed axes instead of footballs, they could wipe out this entire stadium ."...That's when they were known as the purple people eaters..no shit!

My girlfriend in Denver is giddy with joy..her Rockies are going to the world series..against the Red Sox...pretty cool...This is going to be a sports post...There were two articles in my DAM sports news this morning..first of all...

Ex-Packer, 75, dies after fall from his roof.

Max McGee, the free-spirited Green Bay Packers receiver who became part of Super Bowl lore, died from injuries suffered after he fell from the roof of his home. He was 75.(only an ex-packer at his age would be up on his roof).

Police were called to his home in suburban Deephaven, Minn., on Saturday afternoon. Efforts to resuscitate failed. McGee was blowing leaves off the roof when the accident happened.

"I just lost my best friend," former teammate Paul Horning told the St.Paul Pioneer Press. His wife"Denise was away from the house. She'd warned him not to get up there. He shouldn't have been up there. He knew better than that."

McGee caught the first touchdown pass in Super Bowl history in 1967, a game he expected to watch from the sideline.When it was all over, he had caught seven passes for 138 yards and two TDs and Green Bay beat the Kansas City Chiefs, 35-10.

McGee had only four receptions for 91 yards during the 1966 regular season.He didn't plan to play in the title game because he violated the team curfew and spent the night before partying.

Boyd Dowler separated a shoulder on the Packer's second drive, and coach Lombardi summoned McGee. He had to borrow a helmet because he left his in the locker room. A few plays later, McGee made a one handed snare of a pass from Bart Starr and ran 37 yards to score...(I think the Goddess will make an exception with this warrior...and is taking him directly to Valhalla.)

Now...to the news closer to home..Don't know if you have been following the Ron Springs/Everson Walls story..they were team mates on the Dallas Cowboys way back when...they were friends also..and their families were friends..Ron Springs has diabetes and it caused his kidneys to be damaged..none of his family was a match, except for his son Shawn, who plays for the Washington Redskins, but Ron refused to let his son donate his kidney, knowing it would ruin his football career..So.....Everson Walls was a match and he donated his kidney..yup..quite a guy...Every thing had been going along pretty good..Then he needed a simple operation on his arm to remove a cyst. He still had some pain so they were going to do a second one and during the operation Ron lost oxygen for a time and lapsed into a coma and has been in a coma ever since...This is sad and bad news for us Cowboys fans...They were not just hero's on the field..but hero's off..great family men and good friends...Shawn went back to

Washington so he could play Sunday, and glad to say their team won...I really do hope his Dad wins his game too...and that's all the sports news for the day...next post will be nothing but pictures of MOJO in Amsterdam and Zurich..How cool is that...?...






6 comments:

Jan said...

Death from a fall off a roof is, of course, sad. But we hear so many stories about the old football players being too crippled to walk. Maybe he shouldn't have gone on the roof but I'll bet he was happy to be able to be that active.

Gorgeous daughter!!!

Mouthy Girl said...

That fall from the roof is horrific.

Ron's coma is just majorly sad. I recall seeing him and Everson on opening day in Dallas this season. I may loathe the Cowboys, but I respect the old-school players. Good times. Great friends.

Your daughter is gorgeous. What great pics!

Get this: Buddha didn't bite anything at school today! His teachers told me that he caught himself "being bad" a few times, pulled back from biting, pulling, whatever, and said, "No. Obert good boy! Obert listen!" That's my boy!!!!!

He wants to know what you want for Christmas! Dig the dirt and give it to us!

Heidi said...

My dad was pretty bummed by the loss.

I stopped watching the Vikings after they blew their big chance to get to the Superbowl a few years ago. Plus, now that Randy Moss, Dante Culpepper and Randal Cunningham are gone, it's BORING.

Green tea said...

Hey H-M and H H
I'm with you, I let old hubba stew by him self during Viking games..
The day Randy left, I was following him.
I have to admit it is much more fun watching him with Brady then it was when he was in Oakland.
Then there's the Colts and Tony Dungy/ Payton Manning.
If the only the Viking dodo's had chosen Tony for their coach when they had the chance..
Granny I told you not to sweat this one.. :D GiGi

texlahoma said...

I hope when I'm 75 and say "I'm going up on the roof with a leaf blower!"
that there is someone around to stop me.

yellowdoggranny said...

crap I get so pissed off at blogspot sometimes..ate my comments..
Jan:the old players didn't have any protection when they played..he was probably more protected when he fell off the roof then on the field...thanks..I think she's pretty too..
Buddha_girl:tell 'obert Aunt Grandma is so very proud of him...
yeah the pictures were really good..
HMHH:i am really a viking fan..just wish they would quit wearing those helments with the horns..as vikings never wore them...ever..
Greentea:yeah, I wasn't worried about them losing, but with the cowboys you never know which team will show up..
Tex:bullshit..sooner will be right up there with you holding the beers..