I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

THE 2010 WINTER OLYMPICS IN CANADA..hallelujah!






I tried to get the video from the Olympics, but they took it down from youtube. It made me weep...this is the Canadian Music award and she sings it in front of Leonard Cohen, the writer of this beautiful song. I noticed in the video there are different lyrics. I wish I had them..
But what I have to say is...the opening ceremony in Vancouver was fantastic. I loved it and I love K.D. Lang...she has the most beautiful voice. Must be from all those clean clear skies you have in Canada. As far as I'm concerned, we'll never be as great as Canada, because you have K.D. and we don't. And wasn't Donald Sutherland great in the narration.? Wonder if he can sing?..
If any of you missed the opening ceremony for the 2010 Olympics..shame on you..
To all my Canaderian friends...you have much to be proud of..and I'm plum proud to know you.
Here are Leonard Cohen's lyrics for for K.D. Lang's song from the 2010 Olympics.
"Hallelujah"
Now I've heard there was a secret chord
That David played, and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth
The minor fall, the major lift
The baffled king composing
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne,
and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah
Baby I have been here before
I know this room, I've walked this floor
I used to live alone before I knew you.
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
There was a time you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show it to me, do you?
And remember when I moved in you
The holy dove was moving too
And every breath we drew was
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah,
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

22 comments:

Rainwolf said...

Lucy made me watch it, and I'm glad she did. That was some awesome shit. Love k.d. and Leonard Cohen so I was a happy camper.

Nit Wit said...

The show was a lot better than China's, and cheaper too.
I bet all the members of the First Nations who were on stage dancing had to go soak their feet after all the countries were introduced.
Leo was only 3/4 right about who would light the caldron. His poll didn't have a choice for a women.
Glad you liked my Pee Pee Post. You can sometimes find some really strange stuff when you stumble.
I see the other camera is back.

TheWayfarer said...

Sounds awesome..."Wish'd Ah cudda bin there, for thayat" so thanks for the recap. Will look around for video on Hulu: I gotta see how "mah boie Apolo"s doin, anyhow!

Willym said...

Many thanks for a lovely post cara - though I am so many miles away from home my heart is there.

Clance' McClannahan said...

So sad about the Luger from Russia. RIP...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I adore k.d. lang and "Hallelujah" really showcases her powerhouse pipes! Glad you enjoyed the opening ceremonies too!

texlahoma said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the opening ceremonies, not really my cup of tea, but that's my problem. May you and people like you, enjoy many more of them in the years and decades to come.

Kulkuri said...

Has NBC improved their coverage???? I gave up on watching the Olympics on US TV because all they focus on is those they think will metal and/or the top US athlete in each sport. They never show a complete event, only the top few and maybe a wipeout. Even when they are showing an event with Americans favored to win, they show a lot of bullshit about where the athlete is from while the event is going on and we don't get to see all of the event.

Nan said...

I've given up on watching the Olympics on American tv, too. It's hard to get interested when it seems like NBC would do a 10-second clip of an event, then natter on about how some American athlete collected beanie babies back in grade school, and then do another 10 second clip totally unrelated to the first one they showed. Really horrible coverage, so why bother?

TheWayfarer said...

10-4 on the rotten coverage thang.
Too much designer cause and ethical fads and not enough of the actual content: I don't give a fuck if Xavier Colonblowvich from Upper Slobovia is skiing to raise Tay Sachs Awaredness because of his extinct sister Olga or not, I WANT TO WATCH THE COMPETITION ITSELF!

Josh said...

God I love "Hallelujah". Always makes me get a lump in my throat when I hear it. Jeff Buckley's cover of it was the official song of my first relationship.

yellowdoggranny said...

I'm crazy about lenonard cohen and k.d. lang..I went to youtube and listened to damn near everything they had ..love her johnny get angry..that was the first song i ever saw her do.either on carson show or snl...loved it..I am really enjoying the olympics...womens hockey is kicking the chinese hockey team's ass..8-0

CorvusCorax12 said...

I loved the Fiddlers, a lot of them are Maritimers. I love the Fiddle and Celtic music

Anonymous said...

kd released that song on her "Hymns of the 49th Parallel" album. It's a gooder indeed! Her voice is like buttah!

I did not watch the opening ceremonies. I know, bad Canadian. Olympics, I'm just not that into you.

So Not Wishy Washy said...

I think I may actually be back on the blogging wagon again, and it feels damn good.

Got your birthday card - LOVE LOVE LOVED IT. Thank you, woman. I was laughing out loud, hearty and long- by myself in the post office. People stared which only made it funnier.

And the Olympics? Love them. Always. Even when coverage is shitty. They're in my genes. My sister (in VA Beach) and I watched the opening ceremonies together - ON THE PHONE. We were so pissed that we couldn't watch them together in person.

Big Pissy said...

I LOVE that song.....

Jan said...

I love the Olympics. Glad the Canadian opening ceremony was tasteful and beautiful and not full of hyperbole like...you know...

Blueberry said...

watched part of the ceremonies but somehow missed k.d. Love that song, and loved the show that they put on. Not much of a watcher of the Olympics in general though - just a few minutes now and then...

Elizabeth said...

Missed it! Shoot!

Patsy said...

K D Lang is fab, even though I'm not a fan of that kind of music. I've missed a lot of the winter olympics so far because most of the events are on too late at night (I've got a 10 month old baby, so try to be in bed before 10pm!) Don't want to miss the figure skating, though... Although I'm not a 'girly girl', I love this and am amazed anyone can keep upright on the ice, let alone dance on it!

sageweb said...

I fell asleep but googled her the next day..I went to her concert last year..I was in the 5th row..I am pretty sure she was singing to me.

joy said...

Just saw K D's interview on Australian TV. She said she had just found about the luge athlete who died immediately prior to her appearance. She immediately quit being nervous about anything.