I'm a liberal pagan living in West, Texas. Yes. That West, Texas.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

THANKSGIVING AT SENIOR CENTER 2011

These pictures are all before and after pictures. I was too busy to take any pictures when it was going on..
After a while I relieved one of the kids in the line serving and got to dish out green beans. Donald came up and said 'we have a shit load of green beans so give everyone extra helpings.'...so that became by rallying cry..'we have a shit load of green beans, so you want an extra helping?'...that and Robert Zaharnak made oyster dressing(made by the pilgrims right before the Indians kilt them.'...So every time I would ask them if they wanted some oyster dressing and they'd say no I'd tell them, it's an aphrodisiac and (in deep voice) make you strong like bull. Made the kids laugh..when one guy said he didn't want any I said you should, one guy came thru the line 3 times for the oyster dressing...he said 'really?'...and I said 'no I lied, you can't trust anything I say.'...
I guess 3rd time is a charm, cause this time I had a great time and people actually spoke to me. Plus I made some new friends like Fran and Bill who are retired AF and really nice people..I also turned one of the ladies onto Sharla's...now she's hooked.
there was just so much food, and not sure we served as many people as we did last year.Which is a good thing, but the thing they are stressing is isn't not just for people that might be in need..it's for every one..We had a lot of people call in and order the dinner and we'd deliver. Not just the meals on wheels but for who ever wanted it delivered to them.
Donald said he didn't want anyone giving donations, that this is their gift to the city of West. I love my town..so much to be proud of . Plus I found out something. When the school had the cut backs, they lost the school librarian and it's not open hardly at all during school hours. So me and some ladies are going to see if between us we can get enough volunteers to keep it open all week long. Hell I'll do it..Might even donate some of my books to them too. So I had a great time. I served food, bused some tables, helped dry dishes and made some new friends. We had turkey, ham, sweet potatoes, dressing and gravy, a shit load of green beans, cranberry sauce, cold slaw and rolls. Plus every dessert you can think of and some you never heard of. Cindy and another lady were trying to teach me the Czech names for some of them..wow..Czech is hard.
Then after the lunch I came home rested, watched the rest of the Lion's game then went to Inky's and Anissa for smoked chicken with bbq sauce, rice/broccoli/cheese casserole, dressing, mashed potatoes, creamed corn and the delicious angel food cake with strawberries and cream sauce. Soo fecking good. Inky gets better and better all the time. Plus Anissa rocked the casserole and dressing and dessert. And she's like a kid. She had got me something for Christmas and couldn't wait till then so I opened it up and they got me a small fry daddy. I'm so stoked..I can think of many things I can use it for. None of which I need to eat, but fuck it..I'd rather go out with donuts in my hand than face forward into some shredded wheat. I have some pictures I took there too, but will make it into a separate post. I need a nap so bad. The Cowboys won ..pulled it out of their ass. But I took Miami and 7 points so it was a win win for me..ok..gotta go before I fall asleep at the wheel. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving..I did..best ever.
























5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, what a great Thanksgiving you had! You gave and received many blessings!

FoxyMoron said...

That is a LOT of pie. You are an inspiration.

Rox said...

I love posts like this! We get to see what you're up to and hear about all the great things going on in your 'hood!

What kind of pie IS that? I wonder if you could stick a popsicle stick in it and freeze it? (I had something like that once and haven't been able to get it out of my mind since!)

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

YES Virginia...there really is a GODDESS and her name is Jackiesue!

Praise be..that there are people like you. (((hugs)))Pat

Intense Guy said...

Wow. That's a lot of Pie!

Hmm... maybe you could write a book and use that title? :)

I love the picture of the little girl smiling at you - she knows you are doing the best thing any human can do - feed folks that need a hand. Proud to say I know you.